Green Blog

Tesla unveils their new Model S electric car

Green Blog

Pretty interesting. And it DOES look like an "ordinary" car...

Sadly, they did not price it to sell, at $56,0000 will not take the market by storm. Ford and Toyota will pound these shallow minds into the ground... in 2010, when it comes out in 2011 it will die.... assuming that it does come out. To many of these companies make these grand announcements and then never follow thru... <_<

Sadly, they did not price it to sell, at $56,0000 will not take the market by storm. Ford and Toyota will pound these shallow minds into the ground... in 2010, when it comes out in 2011 it will die.... assuming that it does come out. To many of these companies make these grand announcements and then never follow thru... <_<

Its actually "only" $49,900 after a $7,500 tax credit. And Tesla secures over 500 Model S customers in first week. :cute:

Its actually "only" $49,900 after a $7,500 tax credit. And Tesla secures over 500 Model S customers in first week. :cute:

Wow, 500 customers that are going to wait two years, sounds good but the proof will be how many are there the day it really comes out! <_< Easy to come up with people that will put their name on a dotted line as long as they do not have to put any money up! This is just major "green" bragging rights!!!

Wow, 500 customers that are going to wait two years, sounds good but the proof will be how many are there the day it really comes out! <_< Easy to come up with people that will put their name on a dotted line as long as they do not have to put any money up! This is just major "green" bragging rights!!!

I guess you didn't read the article which says:

"Customers will have paid a $5,000 refundable reservation fee and the car is expected to retail at $49,900 after a federal tax credit of $7,500."

I guess you didn't read the article which says:

"Customers will have paid a $5,000 refundable reservation fee and the car is expected to retail at $49,900 after a federal tax credit of $7,500."

The point is that a $50,000 car is not going to take the market by storm. Only the rich can drop $5,000 (refundable) ie "This is just major "green" bragging rights!!" And given the market window, someone could have a better car than this on the market by then, killing the car...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

That is a very nice looking car! I'm surprised that Tesla are still making cars though, didn't they at one point go bust?

I believe they couldn't sustain their business when they were only making their electric sports car the Tesla Roadster.

It is nice to see them up and running again though, and making more.. down to earth, consumer cars. It is a shame about the price though, I can't see them racing out of the showrooms.

• 1 year later...

I have been following the Tesla for a while as well. There is no question they have the aesthetics down, but they are meeting some resistance in distribution which I am sure is affecting the overall "bottom line" price. I think if they can appeal to a larger market and get the pricing issues in check, they will be a viable addition to the more earth friendly market.