Green Blog

Abortions

Simon

What is your opinion about abortions? Are they right or wrong?

If men were the ones having the child there would be drive-in abortion clinics everywhere and we wouldn't even have this discussion. Let the women decide over her own body herself!

• Like 2

If men were the ones having the child there would be drive-in abortion clinics everywhere and we wouldn't even have this discussion. Let the women decide over her own body herself!

Yeah, abortion is a right that women have over their body, but it can't be like "i have nothing to do, let's do an abortion"

Yeah, abortion is a right that women have over their body, but it can't be like "i have nothing to do, let's do an abortion"

The way it is being preached is a total disrespect for life! There has to be rules and regulations or else you give people the right to have no responsibility for their actions. Women are not the only ones with "rights"!!!

Well I doubt anyone thinks like that! :cute:

The way it is being preached is a total disrespect for life! There has to be rules and regulations or else you give people the right to have no responsibility for their actions. Women are not the only ones with "rights"!!!

How is it being preached? And what kind of rules and regulations are you talking about?

• 4 months later...

it's really not that simple.i had an ultrasound scan with one of my children at 4 month.the baby was jumping up and down.so if you have an abortion at that stage you would kill another life.just because it comes from your own body doesn't make it right.on the other hand if it's in the early stages before the fetus is properly developed i would think it to be my right to abort .but apart from being risky it's also can be quite traumatic.you'd be always thinking who the baby would have been.having an unwanted baby isn't to be taken lightly,you'll be stuck with it for the rest of your life.

it's really not that simple.i had an ultrasound scan with one of my children at 4 month.the baby was jumping up and down.so if you have an abortion at that stage you would kill another life.just because it comes from your own body doesn't make it right.on the other hand if it's in the early stages before the fetus is properly developed i would think it to be my right to abort .but apart from being risky it's also can be quite traumatic.you'd be always thinking who the baby would have been.having an unwanted baby isn't to be taken lightly,you'll be stuck with it for the rest of your life.

Yeah, here in portugal the law says women can only do an abortion till the 10th week

Welcome to the forum Janji :)

That's pretty funny about the drive-in clinic and I believe that would be the case too! Why does it have to be more complicated with women?

I'm all about pro-choice because if it wasn't legal, it would still happen. It would just be in a back alley or something of that nature, kinda like drugs. Definitely let the woman decide. It is her body!

That's pretty funny about the drive-in clinic and I believe that would be the case too! Why does it have to be more complicated with women?

I'm all about pro-choice because if it wasn't legal, it would still happen. It would just be in a back alley or something of that nature, kinda like drugs. Definitely let the woman decide. It is her body!

I completely agree. And we need to remember this as religious and conservative politicans and organisations as well as "pro-life" organisations from the USA are pouring huge amounts of money in Europe to remove the freedoms for women.

Definitely let the woman decide.

So, do you think that men should be able to opt out of parenthood too? Let's say that Simon was to spend a couple of hours with a "lady of the night" who was to subsequently become pregnant. Because Simon is exceptionally wealthy, the hoochie momma sees him as a good meal ticket and, against his wishes, decides to have the baby. Is it right that, in such circumstances, Simon would have to be Dad (legally, anyway) and liable for 16+ years of child support? If women can opt of motherhood, should men not be able to opt out of fatherhood?

So, do you think that men should be able to opt out of parenthood too? Let's say that Simon was to spend a couple of hours with a "lady of the night" who was to subsequently become pregnant. Because Simon is exceptionally wealthy, the hoochie momma sees him as a good meal ticket and, against his wishes, decides to have the baby. is it right that, in such circumstances, Simon would have to be Dad (legally, anyway) and liable for 16+ years of child support? If women can opt of motherhood, should men not be able to opt out of fatherhood?

Hey! Why do you always have to drag me into all your arguments? ;)

Well if I would make someone pregnant I would of course also have to face up to the consequences. Thats why it's always best to be on the safe side! ;)

Well if I would make someone pregnant I would of course also have to face up to the consequences.

But should you? If women have the right to opt out of motherhood, why shouldn't men have the right to opt out of fatherhood?

• Like 1

hi,ogng!

first of all if the woman would be a prostitute then it would be her responsibility to use contraception. all the burden is on her to find the real father would be an impossible task.

if it would be a one night stand it would be simons responsibility too.

the difference between simon and greta(one night stand) is that the baby is in gretas body not simons.greta could die if she has an abortion.so thats why she has the bigger say in the matter.

and simon your right,we can't allow this anti abortionists to take over.it took so long to get these laws in place but we have to respect the unborn life too.

• Like 1

the difference between simon and greta(one night stand) is that the baby is in gretas body not simons.greta could die if she has an abortion.so thats why she has the bigger say in the matter.

Greta could also die if she decided to have the baby (in fact, an abortion is probably safer than pregnancy), but that's really not the point. Greta can choose whether to be a mother; shouldn't Simon be able to choose whether to be a father? I'm not suggesting that Simon should be able to force Greta into having an abortion - simply that he be able to opt out of being the child's father in the eyes of the law.

do you mean choose to be a father once the baby is born then?

once the baby is born greta could leave the baby with simon.

simon leaving the baby with greta is old hat. ;)

nowadays men can take maternity leave which is really cool.

it's a step towards equality between men and women.

by the way simon ,this will never happen to you :sceptical:

do you mean choose to be a father once the baby is born then?

... or choose not to be a father. Do you think that he should be able to elect to not be the father of Greta's child in the eyes of the law?

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I used to be all pro choice, but after a few experiences in life I have swung round the other way, personally I am against it and would lobby that it should be illegal... But I live in a country where it has been legal for decades without much debate.

I used to be all pro choice, but after a few experiences in life I have swung round the other way, personally I am against it and would lobby that it should be illegal... But I live in a country where it has been legal for decades without much debate.

What kind of experiences made you change your mind?

• 4 months later...

I'm not religious but I've never been pro-abortion, unless it's a case of life and death. It is because there are a lot of options to prevent pregnancy, if both parties are not ready to face the consequences of their actions, in the first place. How hard is it to do that? I think abortion is an escape from bigger responsibilities. This is the reason why I respect single and teen-age moms who owned up to their actions. I'd say it's a selfless decision. 

This is a very controversial subject and every situation has several factors to consider. There is no one size fits all and someone should consider the baby as well. I think, regardless of the decision you make, you are taking a life if you abort.

Until the day of the birth a baby is part of the mother, part of her body and so the mother should decide what to do with her own body. Abortion is not a good thing to do, but it can save the lives of many mothers.

Nobody has more at stake, or would be in the most affected (if not the best) position to decide whether to abort or not--than the one who is actually pregnant. Why would somebody bypass the autonomy and perspective of the one who is pregnant, in favor of presuming to voice for the rights of the voiceless embryo or fetus? Is it to impose "proper" consequences of not using contraception? If it's down to human life, well quality of life is a large aspect of human life--but why rather bring another person into this world just because of its potential, rather than continue to respect the quality of life aspired to by the pregnant person?

Nobody should force people to have abortions who don't want to have abortions, and, by the same rule, nobody should force somebody to give birth who doesn't want to give birth. Both would be acts of oppression, both violate the autonomy of a person's own body, and both are acts of violence. Let each individual make the choice. Let it be an option. The worst thing someone can do is universalize their personal experience: "my rights end where yours begin", has anyone heard of that? The saying asserts a mutual respect for boundaries.