Green Blog

How do you get to where your going?

Crash-Cheetah

I prefer to walk. I usually have to carpool when the temperatures reaches into the triple digits. If I can walk I will and every so often I bike, but not often.

I also walk if it was just short distance or I can manage to walk the distance. It was also a way for me to exercise since I am not having enough workout this past days. I also try to use the bike to go near in the lake or to the market place.

I do not own a car, which typically leads me to foot where I'm going. I am currently out of work, but when I was working I would take the city bus as my workplace was across town. I've never been a bike fan, the entire idea of using a bike on city roads scares me. If I can get a ride, I will take one. That, however, is seldom. With all of that said, I just think it's best to depend on my feet :)

I'm a money saver type of person so I prefer walking to get to the place I am bound to go. Sometimes, I can go even in long distances using just my feet. :D

I do not own the bike that I use so I don't get to bike often. For really long distances like miles, I ride the bus or any PUV in order to get to the place I am going to.

• 2 months later...

Well it all depends on where I am going and what I am going to do. But I usually take the train for long distances, the bus on semi-long distances (also depends on the weather) and I use my bike for shorter distances. :)

• Like 1

Well it all depends on where I am going and what I am going to do. But I usually take the train for long distances, the bus on semi-long distances (also depends on the weather) and I use my bike for shorter distances. :)

That makes perfect sense to me. To add to that, I live in a city where the bus only runs until 6p.m. at the latest on Saturdays, and not at all on Sundays. Therefore, if I continue to use my car, it would especially be on the weekends. Furthermore, sometimes I or another person may need to be somewhere that is past the time the bus runs during the week. Therefore, I sometimes have to use the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the times I use public service if am going to the city and since I don't go to work am a work at home mum, I hardly go anywhere.. When we are going out with the family, that is the time we use our car or if we are going shopping. Besides the petrol has become so expensive it doesn't make financial sense to the car if public transport is near by.

• 3 weeks later...

I get to where I am going by either walking briskly, running (depending on time), cycling (depending on city), bus (depending on country) or car (usually my last resort).

I like active transport, so your body can feel its movement! It is so much more fun too...

• 2 weeks later...

If it is just a couple of blocks away, I just walk to and from the place I'm supposed to check out. If it is not possible to walk to and from the location, that is when I use other modes of transportation. Either I use a bike or another vehicle.

I'm a college student, so I walk most of the time. The stores aren't very far from my dorm. When I move out, I want to live in Chicago, and I don't want to own a car. I want to be able to walk to a lot of places, and I will be able to in a big city like Chicago. I also would take the bus/subway/train and maybe the taxi on occasion, but I really don't want to own a car.

• 4 months later...

Depends on where I'm going. I usually just take my car as that's the only real transportation in my area. If I'm going somewhere far I usually fly or take a train.

I'm a college student, so I walk most of the time. The stores aren't very far from my dorm. When I move out, I want to live in Chicago, and I don't want to own a car. I want to be able to walk to a lot of places, and I will be able to in a big city like Chicago. I also would take the bus/subway/train and maybe the taxi on occasion, but I really don't want to own a car.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to own a car. To maintain a car today is just too expensive and involves too much hassle. Just getting a driver's license requires a small fortune! So if you're lucky to live in a bigger city with decent public transportation options I don't really see a point in owning a car.

I wish I could walk! Unfortunately, it's not really feasible where I live. I'm in the mountains and everything seems to be uphill and ten miles away. It's not always that drastic, but it's not too far from the truth. I do try to carpool whenever possible and I'll get as much done in one trip as possible so that I don't have to get out and drive so often. I usually get my groceries in bulk so I only have to go out and replenish my consumables, and I get those from the gas station 2 miles away unless I'm out in town anyway.

My boyfriend and I drive the car to wherever we need to go because it's quite a distance from where we live to the nearest shop, unless we decide to go to the garage to get milk and bread, which we would then, walk. I wouldn't mind walking if the shops and the beach were a lot closer :)

We used to have a bike and we enjoyed travelling from one location to the other with it. My boyfriend sold it last year and we're thinking of buying another one soon. With petrol price sky-high where we live, a bike would definitely be a better means of transportation.

I either walk or take the subway. Occasionally, I take the bus, but for the most part, I pick the station that has most of what I need around it, walk here, there, everywhere and then take another subway ride back home.

• 3 months later...

I spent £295 on this fixie bike (only the 2010 version):

http://www.sebikes.com/wordpressfiles/?p=2067

And it has paid it self back multiple times over the past couple years. It's so much fun to ride and a pleasure to travel on. In fact, I just at the chance to do a quick run on it, so when a friend asks for a favour I am more than happy to run to the shops etc. It makes me look like such a good person when I am actually getting a lot of enjoyment out of it :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't own a car, and I'm lucky that my office is 1.5 km away from my home, so I take the public bus. It takes 30 min max. Meanwhile, I walk on the way home for about 20 minutes.