Green Blog

Race is on to Halt Brazilian Forest Loss by 2015

Jake Schmidt

The Brazilian government will release a goal to cut net deforestation to zero by 2015, as a part of a draft climate change action plan, as reported by the BBC. The plan aims to have more trees planted in Brazil than are lost by 2015 (a "no net forest loss" plan rather than a 'no net deforestation" plan). This is a significant step in the multi-decade long battle to address forest loss in Brazil. For more details see my post...http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/jschmidt/race_is_on_to_halt_brazilian_forest_loss.html.

The Brazilian government will release a goal to cut net deforestation to zero by 2015, as a part of a draft climate change action plan, as reported by the BBC. The plan aims to have more trees planted in Brazil than are lost by 2015 (a "no net forest loss" plan rather than a 'no net deforestation" plan). This is a significant step in the multi-decade long battle to address forest loss in Brazil. For more details see my post...http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/jschmidt/race_is_on_to_halt_brazilian_forest_loss.html.

This is one of those stories that you really hope is true, however given that the target is 7 years out pretty much puts into the area of a smoke cloud. They could speed this up by 5 years and I would give it some hope since then you have an ROI that you can see quickly.

... and they have started accepting donations for their plans. If I remember well the amount they requested is something around $ 20 billion...

How much can we collect from this forum :lol:

... and they have started accepting donations for their plans. If I remember well the amount they requested is something around $ 20 billion...

How much can we collect from this forum :lol:

There is a sucker born every minute! Considering the graft and corruption in that area, only 5 billion would be spent doing something creative. And considering that 756 square kilometres of Amazon was destroyed last month, just to break even you would have to be planting 756 square kilometres a month. The man power alone would be staggering and the cost would be ongoing. Suspect that this will require more than "planting trees" to fix this problem....