Green Blog

John McCain's nuclear plan will (at least) cost you $315 Billion

Simon

John McCain's plan to revive the U.S. nuclear power industry with 45 new reactors may cost $315 billion, with taxpayers bearing much of the financial risk.

The Republican presidential nominee wants the plants built in time to help the U.S. meet a 29 percent increase in electricity demand by 2030. Industry estimates put their cost at $7 billion each. Barack Obama, McCain's Democratic opponent, is less specific about his plans, saying he wants to "find ways to safely harness nuclear power.''

Global warming and the rising cost of fossil fuels have boosted chances that atomic energy will supply more U.S. electricity. Public concerns remain about reactor safety and disposing of waste that stays hazardous for millennia. Investment bankers, citing the industry's cost overruns in the 1980s, say they won't finance its long-sought ``nuclear renaissance'' without federal backing.

Via Huffington Post. Read more at Bloomberg.com

Related: Nuclear Energy is Expensive, Dangerous, Not Cost-Effective and Will Worsen Climate Change

John McCain's plan to revive the U.S. nuclear power industry with 45 new reactors may cost $315 billion, with taxpayers bearing much of the financial risk.

The Republican presidential nominee wants the plants built in time to help the U.S. meet a 29 percent increase in electricity demand by 2030. Industry estimates put their cost at $7 billion each. Barack Obama, McCain's Democratic opponent, is less specific about his plans, saying he wants to "find ways to safely harness nuclear power.''

Global warming and the rising cost of fossil fuels have boosted chances that atomic energy will supply more U.S. electricity. Public concerns remain about reactor safety and disposing of waste that stays hazardous for millennia. Investment bankers, citing the industry's cost overruns in the 1980s, say they won't finance its long-sought ``nuclear renaissance'' without federal backing.

Via Huffington Post. Read more at Bloomberg.com

Related: Nuclear Energy is Expensive, Dangerous, Not Cost-Effective and Will Worsen Climate Change

You're right on all counts.

In his speech Obama had mentioned nuclear waste reprocessing, which will increase the energy yield, reduce the amount of radioactive waste and reduce the possibility of using the waste to make bombs. I hope he remembers it if he ever considers using nuclear energy.

Much as I hate to consider it, this waste reprocessing option does appeal to the recycle, reduce, reuse rules of environmentalism so I might supporting the upgrade or replacement of current nuclear facilities with ones capable of also using reprocessed waste. I certainly would not support adding more facilities not just because it's too costly, but because their insidious lies are making us complacent with the radioactive time-bombs that they're cranking out in the background. :yuck:

Use Solar and Wind power with Eco Powered Products then we won't need energy excess.

You're right on all counts.

In his speech Obama had mentioned nuclear waste reprocessing, which will increase the energy yield, reduce the amount of radioactive waste and reduce the possibility of using the waste to make bombs. I hope he remembers it if he ever considers using nuclear energy.

Much as I hate to consider it, this waste reprocessing option does appeal to the recycle, reduce, reuse rules of environmentalism so I might supporting the upgrade or replacement of current nuclear facilities with ones capable of also using reprocessed waste. I certainly would not support adding more facilities not just because it's too costly, but because their insidious lies are making us complacent with the radioactive time-bombs that they're cranking out in the background. :yuck:

Use Solar and Wind power with Eco Powered Products then we won't need energy excess.

The nuclear waste will become a major toxic problem for future generations to come. Unless we bomb the hell out of each other before with all the nukes we can build from the plants.

Upgrading older nuclear plants beyond their actual (short) lifespan is very safe! ;)

Unless we bomb the hell out of each other before with all the nukes we can build from the plants.

Upgrading older nuclear plants beyond their actual (short) lifespan is very safe! ;)

I am sure that is what Obama has in mind, then we will send $50billion feeding the ones that survive, according to one of his current speeches...... :lol:

I am sure that is what Obama has in mind, then we will send $50billion feeding the ones that survive, according to one of his current speeches...... :lol:

Uh no. I think you are talking about John McBush.. He is the hostile (,old) and stupid one. :P