Green Blog

"Get SMART"

Simon

I found this interesting blog entry while I was stumbling around on the Internets. Here are some quotes from it:

"If you haven't seen one in person yet, the new Smart cars are small. Really small. Like, they're so small that when you pass one (they don't pass you) you think, "That's too small to be on the road." I've seen a couple of them zipping around town, but hadn't seen one up close and personal until yesterday when Johnny drove his (and by his I mean his wife Stephanie's!) to work."

"What the car is designed to do, it does well. You can pretty much forget about parking problems with this baby; people are starting to pull them in nose first in between other parallel parkers. For zipping around town or saving money on morning commutes, the car's a no brainer."

"One thing's for sure -- if you drive a Smart car, you had better enjoy talking to people about it. During our brief outing we were constantly being stared at and waved to. When we stopped at a gas station a lady pulled up and asked if her and her daughter could sit in it. Smart included a handful of information pamphlets with the car and now I understand why. Like the Scion XB and a few other quirky cars out there, people seem to either love the Smart car or hate it."

READ IT!

"One thing's for sure -- Like the Scion XB and a few other quirky cars out there, people seem to either love the Smart car or hate it."

The direction that cars will go in the future, function over flash.

The direction that cars will go in the future, function over flash.

Saw one of them up close today and it got me thinking... for something that small it shouldn't even have a gas powered engine. I'm sure an electric motor and a few batteries should do to give it the same performance ratings and it'd be a 0 pollution vehicle. Top it off with some solar panels on the top and back and we'd be laughing all the way to the bank to save our wads of ex-gas money. :thumbup:

Saw one of them up close today and it got me thinking... for something that small it shouldn't even have a gas powered engine. I'm sure an electric motor and a few batteries should do to give it the same performance ratings and it'd be a 0 pollution vehicle. Top it off with some solar panels on the top and back and we'd be laughing all the way to the bank to save our wads of ex-gas money. :thumbup:

There is actually an electric Smarty, the Smart Fortwo Electric Drive. :)

There is actually an electric Smarty, the Smart Fortwo Electric Drive. :)

Not bad really and for sure in 2009 you are going to see a lot of these popup. The forecast is for several new auto companies and several new manufacturers whose cars will be sold by current deal networks. Oh, and less SUV's, more cuts in the 4th qtr..... Some are really going to be not only great for the environment but really cool to drive

here is another related blog entry from the loozegear.com Blog:

In keeping with America’s new found interest for gas conservation and environmental awareness I recently traded in my 8 seater SUV Honda pilot for a convertible Mini Cooper S.

Although I loved the comfort of my pilot it’s unrelenting thirst for petroleum meant that I was filling it up a little over 1 1/4 times a week (too many stops) and over $4.00 a gallon you do the math. I filled up my mini 3 weeks and 1 day ago and still have a 1/4 of a tank left!

Driving this little car is great , its quick, suprisingly comfortable ,very very chic and great to drive around town , It may be small ,but what it lacks in size it makes up for in huge amounts of fun.

So the really good news is all the money I am saving on gas I can spend on my passion ,handbags and less stops at the gas pump means more time for shopping!

Who would have thought saving the environment could be so much fun!

• 6 months later...

This is Colin, a new member of the forum. My nearby Hummer dealer is now becoming a Smart dealer. OHH how I love the irony!! :lol:

Welcome to the forum Colin! :cute:

And yes, that is funny! :lol: Are they completely scrapping the Hummers or will they continue to sell them?