Green Blog

NASA finds signs of flowing water on Mars

Simon

AJE reports that NASA has found signs of "flowing water on Mars":

"NASA has said that its scientists had discovered fresh evidence that water is flowing on Mars during its warmest months, raising the likelihood that life could exist on the red planet.

Recently analyzed images from the NASA Reconnaissance Orbiter, which has circled the planet, show dark finger-like features that extend down some Martian slopes during late spring through summer, and fade in the winter.

"This is the best evidence we have to date of a liquid water occurring today on Mars," said Philip Christensen, geophysicist at Arizona State University, in a NASA panel announcing the findings on Thursday. NASA scientists believe that if flowing, liquid water exists on Mars, it would be highly salty. That would explain why it would not freeze in the planet's cold temperatures."

I would love to see man walk on Mars during my lifetime. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen due to mankind's obsession with wars back here at home. For example that the Obama administration is cutting the funding for NASA to be able to afford the two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or how about these prioritizes: Air condition in the military costs more than NASA's entire budget and so does rust in the US Navy...

I think it is an amazing find and I hope that they are allowed to do more research. Sadly, ending science programs like this isn't going to get us progressed into the future. They need to move money around, taking away from defense and giving it back to the scientists who got us where we are today. Too much is spent on death and destruction and not enough on education and the future. I was excited to see the images and hope that more comes from this!!

Well if there is research it will most likely be contributed from third party organizations as the space program is ended. I agree though, they cut the space program for money, but yet we are wasting money instead of using money on other things.

I was about to say I heard about this already but I was thinking about the water on the moon. I'm still not sure what we expect to do about all this, I know it means there may be life in the water or something used to live there but there is no way we can live there. I guess I just don't understand why it's important. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I was about to say I heard about this already but I was thinking about the water on the moon. I'm still not sure what we expect to do about all this, I know it means there may be life in the water or something used to live there but there is no way we can live there. I guess I just don't understand why it's important. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

We can live there. We could live on multiple planets if we had the will and the way. Having a source of water on the planets we go to will eliminate having to carry it with us. In addition, the simple existence of possible potable water sources in other places in the universe give us a better indication of the possibilities of life elsewhere.

I had read of it already and it was really nice to know that there could be life there. A flowing water could be a sign that there are living species there. So sad to know that the US government focused more on wars rather than exploration funds and researches. Hope there could be some private billionaires to fund those science projects.

It is important because we can try and find other sources of resources or places for habitation; it all is for the human advancement project lol. Also it could provide evidence of life and we can study how it survives in Mar's conditions.