• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon

• mountainhiker

• Steve_Barker

• only_green_no_gray

Nice article! :)

I really like this graph: 139212-2.png

When you see a chart like this you really have to wonder how accurate it really is and if it was truly done under controlled conditions. Considering the source, that is not likely. Also at that level of time no one would ever "see" any difference between any of these browsers.

In other words, there is no ROI to changing from Windows to Linux to attain no "seeable" value.

Nice found there. Need to investigate that further!

Low energy PC makes a lot more sense than wasting time changing from Windows to Linux and spending massive amounts of time trying to find replacement applications..... :thoughtful:

No matter how much you want people to move from Windows or Apple to Linux that will not happen. Linux is lacking features and is hard for novice users to understand. The only way to increase the Linux userbase is via low energy computers, like this Cherry one, that usually runs on a Linux OS of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I used a friends computer (we have Explorer 6 at work) and used Explorer 7 for the first time, gosh it is cluttered, and awkward. The only other browser I find the interface very cluttered and offputting is Flock, and M/soft seem to have tried to copy it.

No matter how much you want people to move from Windows or Apple to Linux that will not happen. Linux is lacking features and is hard for novice users to understand. The only way to increase the Linux userbase is via low energy computers, like this Cherry one, that usually runs on a Linux OS of some sort.

We spent about two years trying to decide if we could manage without this that, and the other. In the end we decided to put Suse on one of our computers, we hated it, but then tried Fedora, and very quickly decided to drop M/soft products altogether. Now we made the change, we would not want to go back.

Last night I used a friends computer (we have Explorer 6 at work) and used Explorer 7 for the first time, gosh it is cluttered, and awkward. The only other browser I find the interface very cluttered and offputting is Flock, and M/soft seem to have tried to copy it.

We spent about two years trying to decide if we could manage without this that, and the other. In the end we decided to put Suse on one of our computers, we hated it, but then tried Fedora, and very quickly decided to drop M/soft products altogether. Now we made the change, we would not want to go back.

Think it depends on which applications that you run and the ones that you may be required to run. Suse has not covered all of the bases in the application area. I still like Firefox over E7

Ohhh... IE6! THE HORRORS! :yuck:

IE7 is miles better than IE6. It's not good enough, but MUCH better than IE6..

Ohhh... IE6! THE HORRORS! :yuck:

IE7 is miles better than IE6. It's not good enough, but MUCH better than IE6..

IE6 at work is not too bad.................................................because I never have to use it :thumbup:

Outlook iritates me no end though :crazy:

My brief use of IE7 did not sugest that it was any better than IE6

I work for a government department, and even though Government Departments have had the OK to use open source no government department has yet made the switch.

I spoke to one of the top IT buyers who was on a site visit about a year ago,

and even though it would save money,

and Dell can supply Ubuntu,

and Linux can do all the types of work we do,

and on top of that Oracle is taking over most admin functions

He and his fellow buyers will continue odering Windows until another department has sucessfully made the move........... just in case :unsure:

If work had Ubuntu and a Mozilla browser (i like Epiphany best) I might even surf a bit at lunch times :rolleyes:

IE6 at work is not too bad.................................................because I never have to use it :thumbup:

Outlook iritates me no end though :crazy:

My brief use of IE7 did not sugest that it was any better than IE6

I work for a government department, and even though Government Departments have had the OK to use open source no government department has yet made the switch.

I spoke to one of the top IT buyers who was on a site visit about a year ago,

and even though it would save money,

and Dell can supply Ubuntu,

and Linux can do all the types of work we do,

and on top of that Oracle is taking over most admin functions

He and his fellow buyers will continue odering Windows until another department has sucessfully made the move........... just in case :unsure:

If work had Ubuntu and a Mozilla browser (i like Epiphany best) I might even surf a bit at lunch times :rolleyes:

I am using Mozilla Thunderbird, it's like Outlook, but with less features. Pretty decent in my opinion.

I am using Mozilla Thunderbird, it's like Outlook, but with less features. Pretty decent in my opinion.

Simon, sorry to hear that you work for the government! Your experience with the buyer is pretty much standard. NOBODY wants to be the guy that makes a bad decision in government. Always safe doing the same thing that others are doing. Your problem is trying to apply common sense to government! I suspect there is some government rule against it! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

People who visited green blog during the period: Jul 1, 2008 - Jul 31, 2008 used these browsers:

Firefox 48.51% (Yay!)

Internet Explorer 40.26% (Buuuu)

Safari 5.59%

Opera 5.04%

Mozilla 0.36%

Simon, sorry to hear that you work for the government! Your experience with the buyer is pretty much standard. NOBODY wants to be the guy that makes a bad decision in government. Always safe doing the same thing that others are doing. Your problem is trying to apply common sense to government! I suspect there is some government rule against it! :rolleyes:

It is Steve that is working for the government, not me. :)

People who visited green blog during the period: Jul 1, 2008 - Jul 31, 2008 used these browsers:

Firefox 48.51% (Yay!)

Internet Explorer 40.26% (Buuuu)

Safari 5.59%

Opera 5.04%

Mozilla 0.36%

It is Steve that is working for the government, not me. :)

By the way, what was the breakdown for the Operating Systems. The Firefox/Opera/Safari results show that individual sites vary greatly from the Global figures http://marketshare.hitslink.com/

Afraid it is I who works for the Government - although I'd rather not, prevents me from standing for the Green Party :mad:

By the way, what was the breakdown for the Operating Systems. The Firefox/Opera/Safari results show that individual sites vary greatly from the Global figures http://marketshare.hitslink.com/

Afraid it is I who works for the Government - although I'd rather not, prevents me from standing for the Green Party :mad:

For the same time period:

1. Windows 81.79%

2. Macintosh 12.44%

3. FreeBSD 2.66%

4. Linux 2.33%

5. (not set) 0.48%

6. iPhone 0.12%

7. SymbianOS 0.07%

8. Playstation 3 0.03%

9. iPod 0.03%

10. Nintendo Wii 0.01%

Too bad you cant run for the greens! I thought it was only journalists that couldn't run for any political party?

Too bad you cant run for the greens! I thought it was only journalists that couldn't run for any political party?

Stricktly speaking I can stand, but I have to get written permission from my bosses allowing me to stand, then I have to sign to say that I will not discuss anything that is related to, or could be percieved as being related to work. All in all it becomes impracticle to stand.

For the same time period:

1. Windows 81.79%

2. Macintosh 12.44%

3. FreeBSD 2.66%

4. Linux 2.33%

5. (not set) 0.48%

6. iPhone 0.12%

7. SymbianOS 0.07%

8. Playstation 3 0.03%

9. iPod 0.03%

10. Nintendo Wii 0.01%

Thanks. I must be sad, but I like percentages :excl: