Green Blog

Stuffed rhino loses horn to thieves

Simon

A 120-year-old stuffed rhinoceros is back on display minus its horn, which was stolen during a nighttime robbery, possibly by an organized gang seeking to sell it on the Asian black market.

Museum authorities have warned that if the powdered horn is used as an aphrodisiac or other traditional medicine, it could have lethal consequences because it was preserved by the use of deadly arsenic and DDT.

Cape Town museum officials decided on Friday to reopen the mammal gallery including the white rhino, looking tatty and disheveled without its horn.

"It is a graphic reminder, not only of the modern-day risks of museum management but also of the plight faced by this endangered species in its natural habitat," said Jatti Bredekamp, chief executive officer of Iziko Museums.

Stuffed rhino is back on view — minus horn

A 120-year-old stuffed rhinoceros is back on display minus its horn, which was stolen during a nighttime robbery, possibly by an organized gang seeking to sell it on the Asian black market.

Museum authorities have warned that if the powdered horn is used as an aphrodisiac or other traditional medicine, it could have lethal consequences because it was preserved by the use of deadly arsenic and DDT.

Stuffed rhino is back on view — minus horn

A scary thing about that, is that the people who stole the horn will not care that it was preserved with arsenic and DDT. They will sell it on the black market to some one who will not ask any questions.

A scary thing about that, is that the people who stole the horn will not care that it was preserved with arsenic and DDT. They will sell it on the black market to some one who will not ask any questions.

Well, it's not like I care about the health for the people who buy it.. :ph34r:

Well, it's not like I care about the health for the people who buy it.. :ph34r:

I think that those people that buy that kind of stuff are worse than the actual thieves

I think that those people that buy that kind of stuff are worse than the actual thieves

Exactly. If there wasn't a market for things like this there wouldn't be any poachers..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...