Green Blog

Huge "Air Tree" in Spain produces energy and oxygen

Green Blog

In Madrid, the capital of Spain, a huge structure called the “Air Tree” is currently under construction. It is designed to both affect the surrounding environment and act as a social gathering point for people.

The “Air Tree” will generate its own electricity using solar photo voltaic cells placed on top of it. The solar panels will generate enough electricity to be able to sell the energy to local energy companies.

(more…)

View the full article

air-tree.jpg

In Madrid, the capital of Spain, a huge structure called the “Air Tree†is currently under construction. It is designed to both affect the surrounding environment and act as a social gathering point for people.

The “Air Tree†will generate its own electricity using solar photo voltaic cells placed on top of it. The solar panels will generate enough electricity to be able to sell the energy to local energy companies.

(more…)

View the full article

Given the limited number of solar panels on that, I suspect the payback on this project will never bee seen!

Given the limited number of solar panels on that, I suspect the payback on this project will never bee seen!

Maybe those panels are enough for the tree's energy needs

Maybe those panels are enough for the tree's energy needs

Think I would have to find out more about this project! Right now it sounds like one of the "feel good" projects that has little practical value in the long run as far as the environment goes.... :sceptical:

• 2 weeks later...

Think I would have to find out more about this project! Right now it sounds like one of the "feel good" projects that has little practical value in the long run as far as the environment goes.... :sceptical:

It's not really designed to be a climate change killer.

Streets in Spain, and other mediterranean countries, are hot - especially during summers - and this "air tree" will help cool down the nearby area for people (+ it will generate electricity and oxygen):

It is expected that during summers it will be 8-10 °C cooler inside and nearby the “Air Tree”. More trees will be planted around the structure to enhance the cooling effect.

That is also why it has been co-financed by the European Union under the LIFE programme-2002 (ENV/E/000198).