Green Blog

Top 10 Things You Can Do to Reduce Global Warming

joydyats

Burning fossil fuels such as natural gas, coal, oil and gasoline raises the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and carbon dioxide is a major contributor to the greenhouse effect and global warming.

You can help to reduce the demand for fossil fuels, which in turn reduces global warming, by using energy more wisely. Here are 10 simple actions you can take to help reduce global warming.

1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

2. Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning

3. Change a light bulb

4. Drive less and drive smart

5. Buy Energy-Efficient Products

6. Use Less Hot Water

7. Use the "Off" Switch

8. Plant a tree

9. Get a Report Card from your Utility Company

10. Encourage Others to Conserve

To read more, please refer to this link: http://environment.a...balwarmtips.htm

- I found this article helpful in reducing Global Warming so thought I'd share it with you guys.

• Like 2

This are all good tips to conserve energy and reduce heat released in the planet. The last tip s very important. To be able to encourage others to conserve and do effort for the environment is not that easy but will be worth it.

Good thing I do some of the tips above nowadays to help lessen the global warming. And I hope that I could encourage my family and friends to do the same thing. I believe that we should act now for the future generation. I just hope that the preassumed effects of global warming won't be that extreme.

• 3 months later...

I agree and for the last 5 months we have reduced the amount of hot water usage in my house. We used to clean our utensils with hot water but not anymore, that way we are saving on the electricity bill and saving the environment too.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

2. Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning

3. Change a light bulb

5. Buy Energy-Efficient Products

7. Use the "Off" Switch

8. Plant a tree

10. Encourage Others to Conserve

Thanks for posting these tips, its quite helpful. I edited your post and left the tips that we're already practicing at home. :) Regarding encouraging others to conserve it is quite tough to do they tend to not listen..

• 2 weeks later...

Here are mine : Taken from my article "Proposals to Stop Global Warming"

If one of us would do this simple task, then we would be able to help the environment heal and stop the wide spread destruction of global warming problem.

1. Energy Star logo.

When making a new appliance purchase, look for the Energy Star label and choose the most energy efficient products available. Energy Star label means that the product you intended to buy are most like to be an environmental friendly.

2. Stand-by mode.

It takes about 25% of your appliance electricity consumption will be loss if you just set it to standby mode instead of turning it off. If you only use that appliance for about 3 hours at a day and switch to stand-by mode, it means that 21 hours uses about 25% of your electricity. That means electricity consumption for that particular appliance doubles. And what if you have several appliance that are on the stand-by mode for that particular day. This load is often called “phantom loads†or hidden loads.

3. Fridge and freezer locations.

You must place this appliance on areas away from cookers or boilers as they consume much more energy than if they were standing on their own.

4. Defrosting.

Defrost your old fridge and freezers regularly. And as much as possible, replacing them with new ones will save-up as much as twice than your old ones.

5. Shower over bath.

Instead of taking a bath, a shower would be much preferred to do if you want to save more energy. Use a low-flow shower sheds instead of the high powered one.

six more to come:

6. No to hot water.

To heat up your water during a shower or bath, takes much energy. So as much as possible be contented to that tap water to ease your comfort. If not possible, try to set your water heater to a low power to save that energy. Also, clothes washed in cold water have no difference that if wash in hot water.

7. Go recycling.

By recycling organic waste or composting it if you have a garden, you can help eliminate the methane gas released by bio-degradable waste in the dumpsite. But make sure that your compost pit is set-up properly, so that decomposition is done in a manner that there is much needed oxygen to circulate. Otherwise, your effort will not pay that much.

8. Self-Waste reduction program.

Simple self-waste reduction program such as taking your lunch in a reusable lunch box instead of a disposable one, you save the energy needed to produce new lunch boxes.

9. Tree planting.

Provide that much needed shade on your backyard by planting enough trees. Note that a single tree will absorb as much as one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. And will reduce your air conditioning bill by as much as 15%.

10. Park your car away from your office.

Walk that extra half mile to your office by parking your vehicle away will not just save energy. Much better if you take the public transit one or twice a week.

11. Tune-up your car.

Cars not properly maintained increases not just fuel consumption but carbon dioxide emission as well. Adjusting your driving style by choosing the proper gears, not abusing your gas pedals, etc will also reduce CO2 emission.

Awareness to the effect of the global warming is the best way of doing your share in protecting Mother Earth. Educate yourself and help others educate themselves will do more than doing it on your own. With this collective effort, we can win the fight against global warming.