Green Blog

London raises its congestion charge for heavy vehicles

Simon

In London today, all cars, except the cleanest ones, have to pay £8 ($16) a day, to enter the city of London. But starting in October this year owners of big gas-guzzling cars will need to pay £25 ($50).

Ken Livingstone admits that the new tax will only have a minor impact on greenhouse gas emissions in London. But, he says the new congestion charging scheme for gas-guzzling cars will send signals that its time to change lifestyle.

What do you think? Is this a good idea?

Read the whole article at: London raises its congestion charge for gas-guzzling vehicles

• 2 weeks later...

I do think this is a great idea, it does make people think about whether they really need their car, and if public transport would get them there just as efficiently.

Although, for the rich people and celebrities who own big gas guzzlers - they'll probably be able to afford any tax thrown at them.

Although, for the rich people and celebrities who own big gas guzzlers - they'll probably be able to afford any tax thrown at them.

Yeah but there aren't that many celebs and rich people when compared with the "normal" people. Those cars should be about 5% of all the cars in London

Yeah but there aren't that many celebs and rich people when compared with the "normal" people. Those cars should be about 5% of all the cars in London

Yeah, I am thinking even less than 5% given the population size. At 2-3% you have to wonder who will suffer from this.

Yeah, I am thinking even less than 5% given the population size. At 2-3% you have to wonder who will suffer from this.

I think that 2-3% isn't a significant number to cause any kind of problems

It's funny.

That we still take it for granted that some people are worthy to be allowed to drive around in big, gas-guzzling, luxury cars. That some poeple should be allowed to pollute more than the rest of us just because they pay some extra for it.

It is a social thing. We don’t say the wealthy can avoid doing what is needed by society.

When we eliminated coal fires in London we didn’t say to people in Chelsea you can pay a bit more and toast your crumpets in front of an open fire - we said nobody, but nobody, could have an open fire.

It's funny.

That we still take it for granted that some people are worthy to be allowed to drive around in big, gas-guzzling, luxury cars. That some poeple should be allowed to pollute more than the rest of us just because they pay some extra for it.

Yeah from that point of view the creation of taxes doesn't make any sense. But is good to do this than better do nothing...

It's a good profit maker, especially for the Government. I don't think many of these congestion charges, are effective in the long run. In a sense, the Government is going about this scheme, the incorrect way. As Simon says, why should people who pollute the environment pay extra, it just doesn't make sense. Plus, there are no major differences between a small or a large car in terms of polluting the air. Pollution is not a major cause, of unhealthy air. There are other things, like buildings, and pavements that mix with the air to create pollution. The Government adds on reason of vehicle sizes, to gather more money and pursuade and brainwash the public, with 'what they think they see fit'.<<that is an actual statement in Law regulation, for anyone that is curious.

It's a good profit maker, especially for the Government. I don't think many of these congestion charges, are effective in the long run. In a sense, the Government is going about this scheme, the incorrect way. As Simon says, why should people who pollute the environment pay extra, it just doesn't make sense. Plus, there are no major differences between a small or a large car in terms of polluting the air. ... The Government adds on reason of vehicle sizes, to gather more money and pursuade and brainwash the public, with 'what they think they see fit'.<<that is an actual statement in Law regulation, for anyone that is curious.

I happen to agree for the most part. There are only two type of giant vehicles: 1. Commercial vehicles and 2. Wealthy individuals who want to drive giant vehicles. 1 need to pay for this; otherwise, they can't run their businesses. They can't start driving smaller cars all of a sudden. 2 do not care; it's peanuts to them. So, in the end, this new regulation does nothing to contribute to reduce CO2 emission.

It's a good profit maker, especially for the Government.

The money will go to fund a "major cycling initiative in London". So the money will go to the people.

So, in the end, this new regulation does nothing to contribute to reduce CO2 emission.

Indeed. But they already know that: "Ken Livingstone admits that the new tax will only have a minor impact on greenhouse gas emissions in London. But, he says the new congestion charging scheme for gas-guzzling cars will send signals that its time to change lifestyle."