Green Blog

Forests. Why people keep destroying them?!

only_green_no_gray

Here is a very good compilation of images of different forest around the world (including Portugal icon_wink.gif ) with some valuable information. this makes me wonder why people keep destroying forests

[url:yd8fjsou]http://news.worldwild.org/forests-and-trees/[/url:yd8fjsou]

Here is a very good compilation of images of different forest around the world (including Portugal icon_wink.gif ) with some valuable information. this makes me wonder why people keep destroying forests

[url:yd8fjsou]http://news.worldwild.org/forests-and-trees/[/url:yd8fjsou]

That URL appears to be bad icon_sad.gif

There appears to be several answers for the main question,

why people keep destroying forests
and that is

1) because they can

2) many of the countries have zero concept of conservation

3) no investment has been made in alternate sources

hope so

The server itself is running, you can ping it and get a response. Could well be that the webserver software is broke since it cannot responded with a default page at the base level. It may come back yet.... icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

... this makes me wonder why people keep destroying forests

Because of the consumer culture. Unless this destructive culture fundamentally changes, forests will be disappearing at a very alarming rate.

• 6 months later...

I think the forests are being destroyed (as well as the deserts where I live) so that people can build more and more tacky houses in HOA's that are built out of particle board. Along with them we need strip malls (what a name huh) so that people don't have to travel very far to buy pretty shinys that even further destroy our planet.

• 3 months later...

Since it appears to be impossible to get people to stop destroying forests, there is only one solution. Grow new ones.

Plant Your Tree

There is a website with a Facebook application doing exactly this. Biodiversity conservation.

They work by planting biodiversity corridors, connecting isolated fragments of forests together, hence allowing for animal movement between these locations, helping prevent the genetic weakening of the species.

The project is located in Southern Brazil and uses native trees of the Atlantic Rainforest ecosystem.

Their site can be seen in www.plantyourtree.com

Their projects are an offshoot of a similar project in the region called the Santa Maria Biodiversity Corridor, a significant biodiversity conservation project, which can be seen in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FxLB8iiS2Y

these are serious people using modern tools to get the message across and they need all the support they can get, so please add the Plant Your Tree Facebook application and help (without charge) this wonderful project gather momentum so

I'm personally saving money to buy my own piece of woodland. I intend to farm the wood (for sustainable fuel in a wood burner) and to manage the woodland for the benefit of the trees. However, land is not cheap in the UK!

I'm personally saving money to buy my own piece of woodland. I intend to farm the wood (for sustainable fuel in a wood burner) and to manage the woodland for the benefit of the trees. However, land is not cheap in the UK!

Aww,that sounds simply lovely!

It cannot be done here in Greece... Not only because most forests were burnt down during the last two summers,but also because of laws who theoretically protect the lands in order to remain untouched. But if there were contracts that the owner of the land would keep it green,I dont see why this shouldnt be legal.

Woodland in the UK comes under a strict legal covenant preventing owners from building on it. I want to buy the land to stop anyone changing their mind. :)

Bravo EnviroGadget, owning your own piece is truly one of the best ways to protect it. As long as its in the hands of the gov, the rules can change from one year to the next...... :D

• 3 months later...

but we really don't need to be so negative bout it. there are loads of independent organizations out there that are keen on projects such as planting trees, etc. if people gives their support, it's not totally hopeless.

i was eager to see the webpage with the images, but its gone again. =(