Green Blog

Why is climate change not in the USA primaries?

mountainhiker

Thats an old story, since it was published he has installed solar panels and are offsetting all his energy..

Big deal. Someone who talks about a seachange in outlook and behaviour has start with a reviwing their own lifestyle before preaching to others.

Churchill could get away with a champagne and cigar lifesyle, whilst normal people had rations. In the battle for a green future "do as I say" is no longer going to wash.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon

• mountainhiker

• Steve_Barker

• only_green_no_gray

Big deal. Someone who talks about a seachange in outlook and behaviour has start with a reviwing their own lifestyle before preaching to others.

Churchill could get away with a champagne and cigar lifesyle, whilst normal people had rations. In the battle for a green future "do as I say" is no longer going to wash.

Yes, I understand your point and I agree with it.

And here is where the shoe hurts, so to say.

No one cares about those crazy hippies that have talked about climate change and our environment for ages now. But when it comes a fat (sorry!), rich, old white male from the upper class in USA and says that; "look, this is an important question". Everyone starts to react..

Rich people will always get away the easy way.

And no, I dont think Tony Blair, or any leader for that matter, should be taken seriously. No one is doing enough. It's just talk talk talk talk..

At least Al Gore is trying to do something with the influential and power he has..

At least Al Gore is trying to do something with the influential and power he has..

However, its the wrong thing! :sceptical: He is campaigning in Europe and if he were going to be in a position to be elected he has to campaign in the US. Obama will chew him up and spit him out! If you are losing your house because some lender is trying to kick you out, you do NOT care about global warming :info:

Then, when Obama gets thru with him Hillary will put her high heel up his fat rear end.

But, like I said, he cannot get past the people that run the Democratic party, they have shut the door on him and will not let him back in. :(

"DEMOCRAT grandees Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are being lined-up to deliver the coup de grâce to Hillary Clinton and end her campaign to become president.

Falling poll numbers and a string of high-profile blunders have convinced party elders that she must now bow out of the primary race.

Former president Carter and former vice-president Gore have already held high-level discussions about delivering the message that she must stand down for the good of the Democrats.

"They're in discussions," a source close to Carter told Scotland on Sunday. "Carter has been talking to Gore. They will act, possibly together, or in sequence."

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/It39s-...-and.3976738.jp

"DEMOCRAT grandees Jimmy Carter and Al Gore are being lined-up to deliver the coup de grâce to Hillary Clinton and end her campaign to become president.

Falling poll numbers and a string of high-profile blunders have convinced party elders that she must now bow out of the primary race.

Former president Carter and former vice-president Gore have already held high-level discussions about delivering the message that she must stand down for the good of the Democrats.

"They're in discussions," a source close to Carter told Scotland on Sunday. "Carter has been talking to Gore. They will act, possibly together, or in sequence."

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/It39s-...-and.3976738.jp

Yo, She will not stand down before the Pennsylvania primary! Unless of course you see an announcement about

someone finding a flying pig! :crazyhappy:

Yo, She will not stand down before the Pennsylvania primary! Unless of course you see an announcement about

someone finding a flying pig! :crazyhappy:

And to add more fuel to the fire:

If, as Hillary Rodham Clinton has suggested, her campaign takes the fight to seat the Florida and Michigan delegations all the way to the Democratic National Convention this summer, the fate of her challenge is all but certain to hinge on 25 individuals appointed to the Credentials Committee by party Chairman Howard Dean.

The Credentials Committee, which also includes 161 members selected from the states based on primary and caucus results, is the 186-member body that will help determine whether to seat the two rogue delegations.

Since it appears virtually impossible for Clinton to win enough of the 161 members to vote out a “majority report†supporting her position — and it is unlikely that Barack Obama will win enough of them, either — the Dean 25 are in a position to hold the balance of power on a procedural matter that could play a pivotal role in deciding the Democratic presidential nomination.

If the nomination is decided by the committee, vast amounts of people will be hacked off that their votes were of no value to the Democratic party. This could be a "lose - lose" opportunity for the party... :thoughtful:

If the nomination is decided by the committee, vast amounts of people will be hacked off that their votes were of no value to the Democratic party. This could be a "lose - lose" opportunity for the party... :thoughtful:

The nomination process in the Democratic party isn't that democratic.. :rolleyes:

Also:

"Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are walking a delicate line as they promise to aggressively tackle global warming while trying to assure voters that they continue to believe in the future of coal.

In states like Pennsylvania, where voters will cast ballots this Tuesday, and in West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and Montana — upcoming primary states — coal sways voters."

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/04/19/1...oming-primaries

"Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are walking a delicate line as they promise to aggressively tackle global warming while trying to assure voters that they continue to believe in the future of coal.

Not much delicate to it these days, they are also committed to solving all the worlds problems, using all the money paid to them by the lobbyists from the coal companys...

Not much delicate to it these days, they are also committed to solving all the worlds problems, using all the money paid to them by the lobbyists from the coal companys...

Yeah, thats one thing I dont understand about US politics. How come you find it OK that big corporations buy your politicians/presidents like that?

Also, Hillary won in the Pennsylvania primary. :lol:

Yeah, thats one thing I dont understand about US politics. How come you find it OK that big corporations buy your politicians/presidents like that?

Also, Hillary won in the Pennsylvania primary. :lol:

Yep, Hillary has made the Dem party sweat big time this time. She will never quit now...

Yep, Hillary has made the Dem party sweat big time this time. She will never quit now...

But, what about if she runs out of money? Those TV ads don't pay for themselves ;)

But won't win so easily as in Pennsylvania

Will be interesting to see! Either way she will battle to the very end. She really has no choice in her mind. The Democratic party leadership is not really behind her and if she does not get the nod this time, 4 years down the road, she will not be able to get back in the race, ie, this is her one shot..... :thoughtful:

Will be interesting to see! Either way she will battle to the very end. She really has no choice in her mind. The Democratic party leadership is not really behind her and if she does not get the nod this time, 4 years down the road, she will not be able to get back in the race, ie, this is her one shot..... :thoughtful:

And this is the only chance America has to get a female president, in an reasonable time..

And this is the only chance America has to get a female president, in an reasonable time..

However, getting a female president should not be the goal, getting a president that is the best person for the job at this time in history is. Also, this female is viewed as a too far to the right. At this time we need a more balanced person. I would never vote for someone JUST because they are a female....

However, getting a female president should not be the goal, getting a president that is the best person for the job at this time in history is.

In the UK we have only had one female PM, alas, Margaret Thatcher exibited less "feminine qualities" than most males.

However, getting a female president should not be the goal, getting a president that is the best person for the job at this time in history is. Also, this female is viewed as a too far to the right. At this time we need a more balanced person. I would never vote for someone JUST because they are a female....

That's true. But, when will USA be able to vote for a female president again? In 20 or 50 years? Longer? You don't have a single strong female candidate besidesHillary, and thats basically just because she was married with Bill Clinton, a former male president.

That's true. But, when will USA be able to vote for a female president again? In 20 or 50 years? Longer? You don't have a single strong female candidate besides Hillary, and thats basically just because she was married with Bill Clinton, a former male president.

Bad reason to elect a person who is totally out of sync with most of the Democratic party and stands on a platform of raising taxes to pay for her programs. This is not the time to be raising taxes. The people "in the middle" see her as a threat to their way of life in already bad times. If it were not for Bill she would never have gotten this far.

Bad reason to elect a person who is totally out of sync with most of the Democratic party and stands on a platform of raising taxes to pay for her programs. This is not the time to be raising taxes. The people "in the middle" see her as a threat to their way of life in already bad times. If it were not for Bill she would never have gotten this far.

Hmm and here I thought you were in a war. But I guess your war pay for itself?

Higher taxes means better welfare. And more money can be invested in the public sector and new technology, meaning more and well-paid jobs.

Hmm and here I thought you were in a war. But I guess your war pay for itself?

Higher taxes means better welfare. And more money can be invested in the public sector and new technology, meaning more and well-paid jobs.

Higher taxes means better welfare. Oh no! California, home of fruits and nuts in the US, has the largest welfare program, and spends $3 for every $1 that gets paid to the people on the bottom. Higher taxes means more people in the middle, sitting on their ass shuffling paper. Although, many may see that as a good thing since you have more jobs(shuffling paper) being filled. :thumbup:

Higher taxes means better welfare. Oh no! California, home of fruits and nuts in the US, has the largest welfare program, and spends $3 for every $1 that gets paid to the people on the bottom. Higher taxes means more people in the middle, sitting on their ass shuffling paper. Although, many may see that as a good thing since you have more jobs(shuffling paper) being filled. :thumbup:

Higher taxes also means free health care, free education etc. You guys don't want that?

Also, you haven't answered me yet on how you will be able to pay for the war by lowering the taxes..

Higher taxes also means free health care, free education etc. You guys don't want that?

Also, you haven't answered me yet on how you will be able to pay for the war by lowering the taxes..

Not my problem! Suspect you will see some of that wind down in the next year, regardless of who wins the election. Of course if its the little "o", who knows. He has no track record, and is promising to solve all the worlds problems.

Higher taxes also means free health care, free education
You call free health care, free education free by (someone) paying higher taxes FREE? You must be on welfare! :thumbup:

You call free health care, free education free by (someone) paying higher taxes FREE? You must be on welfare! :thumbup:

It's free. Yes, I pay taxes to pay for my healthcare, educaton etc. But you can't compare those sums to what it would cost me or anyone else if I had to pay for my hospital visits and school.

I dont have a problem with high taxes cause I know that the money I pay will be invested in my future.

And yes, I will soon be on "welfare"! :P

• 1 month later...

So Obama won it. Who will be his running mate you think?

I am hoping for John Edwards. It would just look weird if it'll be Obama/Clinton..

You mean Obama/Clinton/Clinton - will not get Hillary without Bill, and there is the real problem!