Green Blog

UK looks to a nuclear future

Simon

Britain has given the go-ahead for the construction of a new generation of nuclear power stations, in its search for cleaner, greener sources of energy. The government says nuclear power is key to fighting climate change and securing future energy supplies. But not everyone believes it really is a greener alternative.

[youtube:5uygu7nu]

[/youtube:5uygu7nu]

5 times the jobs? Never have I seen that figure, where did it come from. Also, a missing figure is the cost per KW comparing the two. I keep seeing that wind has not reached a low enough cost to make it viable.

5 times the jobs? Never have I seen that figure, where did it come from. Also, a missing figure is the cost per KW comparing the two. I keep seeing that wind has not reached a low enough cost to make it viable.

What are you talking about?

He is talking about your signature, i think.

"For the same investment, wind generates 5 times the jobs and 2.3 times the power as a nuclear reactor."

Correct, very interesting comparison, where did it come from? sceptical.gif

I shall post for the subject icon_razz.gif

Nuclear power may be more eco-friendly than fuels as we know them..But it is also so dangerous at its use that if anything goes wrong,the catastrophe afterwards shall be much bigger.

It is better to stick to the safe alternative sources of energy (sun,wind,water) and develop them at the same time,than introducing nuclear power in our life and having such a dangerous thing going on...

• 2 weeks later...

That quote comes from a recent report from Greenpeace about renewables against nuclear energy. If you want I can try to find it again.

Would be interesting to find the source and how they came up with that - Greenpeace does not seem as well quoted as they used to be.

Did a search and could not find it in either document. Does seem like it could have been in one of them, given both were looking at the economic side of the question.

Did a search and could not find it in either document. Does seem like it could have been in one of them, given both were looking at the economic side of the question.

I will see if I can do some more searching.. Hmm I was sure it was from one of those documents..

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you can find it here: http://www.greenpeace.org/sweden/rappor ... ergy-futur

If not, it might come from a swedish greenpeace report and I have just translated it, some day some time ago..