Green Blog

Why others do not believe in global warming?

zararina

The six richiest and most powerful comapanies in the world are oil companies such as Exxon Mobil, Shell, British Petroleum... To find a renewable energy company you have to go down the ranking. Non-renewable sources market has existed for a century and it's more profitable than renewable one. Fossil fuels are the main cause of global warming and renewable energy is the best solution. This shift from fossil fuels to renewables implies a great loss of money for companies that run the world (the first six oil companies have nearly $2400 billion, higher than France GDP).

The six richiest and most powerful comapanies in the world are oil companies such as Exxon Mobil, Shell, British Petroleum... To find a renewable energy company you have to go down the ranking. Non-renewable sources market has existed for a century and it's more profitable than renewable one. Fossil fuels are the main cause of global warming and renewable energy is the best solution. This shift from fossil fuels to renewables implies a great loss of money for companies that run the world (the first six oil companies have nearly $2400 billion, higher than France GDP).

Yes, I think this plays a big role in hampering global action on climate change. These corporations are huge, and their power reaches all corners of the world. And they would be directly affected if we, some day, decided to take meaningful action. No wonder they pay so much to lobby politicians. 

• Like 1

Fossil fuels, the main cuase of climate change, belong to an energy system that can't power the world for centuries. At the beginning of XX century oil was an energy source full of opportunities and now we depend on something that is destroying our planet (I don't care about the opinions of the Republicans that still see oil as job opportunities). When oil will run out (according to different sources approximately in 2050) there must be a new energy system, preferably based on renewable energy, to take place. In 2050 there won't be a single drop of oil, that doesn't mean humans will stop using it in 2050.

According to peakoil.nl and OPEC in 2016 demand will exceed production i.e. there won't be enough oil to satisfy the entire demand. From now oil prices will increase more and more excluding a bigger part of global demand. We should start thinking and building a new energy system now instead of watching disasters destroying the nature of planet putting at risks thousands of animal species. We're stuck here, listening to all the lies and inventions of some people saying climate scientists are a secret lobby whose only target is to steal money. Let's not give up.

post-7819-0-27999300-1403279239_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

It is so obvious that Global warming exists. The weather has changed so much in our country and I am sure every country worldwide. You have to be blind, deaf and dumb not to notice. 

A lot of people might notice, but rationalize that it's nothing we've done, individually, and therefore collectively, and therefore is nothing that we can do. A lot of people just don't connect the dots and might even have some hostility towards the attitude that we should be concerned about some environmental footprint.

Global warming is occurring at a very severe rate and is adversely affecting our environment. About ten years ago, during the monsoon season there were heavy rains and it used to prevail for at least half a year in our town, but now we hardly see any rain during the monsoon season. We must really worry about all that is happening to the climate and take the required actions. 

I think the real reason why some people refuse to believe in global warming is because they are scared. They prefer to think about the environment as an evergreen and protected place where they can keep exhausting the resources as long as they want. If they believe in global warming, the very thought of it forces people to change the way they live their lifestyle and be more careful about spending their resources. Hence, it is easy to be ignorant and act as if nothing has happened.

I think that many people deny the fact the global warming is taking place because 1) they don't know how to deal with it, and 2) they don't want to change their ways or are lazy.  If something does not exist, you don't have to do anything about it.  I see the changes of global warming in my area.  We used to get snow every year, for example, but for the last 2 years there has been none.  This is very strange and there has to be a scientific reason for this.  Some people just don't know what to do to stop it from happening and so they just do nothing to make a positive difference.

Most people aren't scared from climate change because they can't see and directly feel the consequences. What are some degrees over the usual? People must understand that the consequences will be catastrophic and that the effects of climate change are unpredictable, like Polar Vortex in the USA this winter is a consequence of global warming, strange but true.

The craters in Siberia and the melting of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps is documented. For whatever reason, people are in denial. The plain facts are that it IS in our self-interest to do everything we can to stop this. Yet the LA Times reported http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-no-solar-20140810-story.html#page=1 in this link that in most of the country there are rules against solar power. I admit here in Minnesota it might be a bit of a gamble, but that isn't going to stop me from getting solar panels when we can afford it!

The craters in Siberia and the melting of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps is documented.

You mean these >huge craters in Siberia which experts think are created by methane? Yeah, they are amazing and shows the first horrific steps of runaway climate change - in this case when the frozen arctic methane in Canada, Alaska and Russia >starts erupting. Runaway climate change is when the natural feedback loops kicks in and it no longer matter how much greenhouse gases we humans reduce because the planet will run crazy on its own. This will be the end of the world as we know it, and with that goes our civilization down the pipe. 

Yet the LA Times reported http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-no-solar-20140810-story.html#page=1 in this link that in most of the country there are rules against solar power. I admit here in Minnesota it might be a bit of a gamble, but that isn't going to stop me from getting solar panels when we can afford it!

Yes that is crazy! But it shows what kind of power-grip the fossil fuel industry has on our politics. We need to stop their influence, but we can't do that until more people rise up and say "enough is enough".