Green Blog

Replace Your Old Holiday Lights with LED Christmas Lights

Campbell76

A U.S. Department of Energy study recently estimated that over 2 billion kilowatt hours of electricity could be saved if U.S. households replaced their traditional inefficient incandescent holiday lights with LED lighting. The estimated energy savings would be enough energy to power about 200,000 homes for an entire year. Interestingly, this study did not even consider commercial uses of holiday lighting. Most commercial displays are much larger and therefore use much more energy. The annual energy savings could be enormous if the study took into account average annual commercial consumption.

In addition to the remarkable potential for energy savings, LED lights will last for up to 20 years considering normal holiday use. Traditional incandescent holiday lights may need to be replaced as often as every two years. That's a lot less useless holiday lights to put in our nation's landfills.

The average retail price of LED Christmas lights[/url:afc9e] continues to decrease. However, even at current pricing the lights are a true bargain considering the life cycle of the product, energy savings, and the decreased impact on the environment.

I hate the passion for x-cessive external light displays, which have become very popular in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4116563.stm

Christmas should be about family and fun, not trying to out do each other with enegy wasting products, made in factories which do not worry about their environmental impact.

Here comes Christmas!:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6118032.stm

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Greece I think people actually compete with one another about who is going to put the most excessive Christmas decoration.And of course lights are on the top of the list...It is sooo ugly,and of course,more and more energy is wasted...I get angry every Christmas with all those people who don't think of the concequences of their actions...

Here in Greece I think people actually compete with one another about who is going to put the most excessive Christmas decoration.And of course lights are on the top of the list...It is sooo ugly,and of course,more and more energy is wasted...I get angry every Christmas with all those people who don't think of the concequences of their actions...

Yeah, here i have more "wonderful" news from my city:

We are going to built the biggest artificial Christmas tree of Europe, all covered with lights, isn't this wonderful!! . The inauguration will be in the November 17th and i will not miss it

Lol,nice irony onlygreennogray!

We used to have the biggest Christmas tree till some years ago,I guess we'll be selfish enough to have a bigger one again... icon_mad.gif

Anyway,every country wants to show off a bit to the others,it is ridiculous...As if they prove their power in this way...they can't see the concequences of their actions

Lol,nice irony onlygreennogray!

We used to have the biggest Christmas tree till some years ago,I guess we'll be selfish enough to have a bigger one again...

Anyway,every country wants to show off a bit to the others,it is ridiculous...As if they prove their power in this way...they can't see the concequences of their actions

That's correct. Last year Lisbon (Portuguese capital city) had the world's biggest Christmas tree

Why are they so silly though?(I mean all governments)

Politicians and scientists tell people to reduce the energy they use,but they themselves wont help us with that,nor do anything to make us follow their example.Since citizens can't do anything without encouragement,politicians have to help them on.

Why are they so silly though?(I mean all governments)

Politicians and scientists tell people to reduce the energy they use,but they themselves wont help us with that,nor do anything to make us follow their example.Since citizens can't do anything without encouragement,politicians have to help them on.

Because they think having a big artificial tree full of lights will attract more tourism

Armadillo if i were you i would travel from Greece to here just to see our tree . The same to you Simon!