Green Blog

Cost of Solar Panels

zararina

Solar energy seems to be the best alternative energy available since it is abundant and free to acquire. The usual problem or hindrance in having this kind of source is the cost of solar panels. It is expensive and very few could afford it.

My question would be: Do you think cost of solar panels will become cheaper as times goes by?

Or, do you know any cheaper alternative for solar panels?

I have an idea on how to get the solar panel for free. You can get a loan to buy the solar panels. Then provide the electricity (the first years), that the solar panel will produce, to an electricity station and the electricity station will pay your loan. Do you think this will work? It sound possible...

I have an idea on how to get the solar panel for free. You can get a loan to buy the solar panels. Then provide the electricity (the first years), that the solar panel will produce, to an electricity station and the electricity station will pay your loan. Do you think this will work? It sound possible...

It sounds easy but i think it is not. Maybe there will be a need to do some processes like registering a business (since i would be a supplier) and should i pass the environmental standards and some other things. That is a big project and thus required a huge budget which i do not think could be financed (even there are loans) by a single ordinary person like me. ;)

My question would be: Do you think cost of solar panels will become cheaper as times goes by?

Solar panels and other renewable energy solutions might seem expensive at the moment. But the more we invest and research into renewables the cheaper they will get.

According to a report by Ernst & Young the price of solar panels will "drop to $1 by 2013" thanks to a combination of rising fossil fuel and falling solar prices.

"Prices of solar panels are falling so fast that by 2013 they will be half of what they cost in 2009, according to a report from Ernst & Young that argues solar electricity could play "an important role" in meeting the UK's renewable energy targets."

It sounds easy but i think it is not. Maybe there will be a need to do some processes like registering a business (since i would be a supplier) and should i pass the environmental standards and some other things. That is a big project and thus required a huge budget which i do not think could be financed (even there are loans) by a single ordinary person like me. ;)

You have a point here... It is not so easy...

Solar panels and other renewable energy solutions might seem expensive at the moment. But the more we invest and research into renewables the cheaper they will get.

According to a report by Ernst & Young the price of solar panels will "drop to $1 by 2013" thanks to a combination of rising fossil fuel and falling solar prices.

"Prices of solar panels are falling so fast that by 2013 they will be half of what they cost in 2009, according to a report from Ernst & Young that argues solar electricity could play "an important role" in meeting the UK's renewable energy targets."

That would be a good news. Hope companies would invest on such renewable energy and distribute it in a cheaper price compared to the prices of the electricity today. That will be a brighter future. ;)

The cost of solar panels and other alternative energy sources keep going down over time. Many believe it is due to rapid technology advances and the growing market demand for renewable energy.

as much as i like to belive that someday we'll all use solar energy all alone, i don't think it's going to happen, today it's just not good enough and it's so expensive maybe in the future but way forward.

I definitely believe that the cost will go down as time goes by. With technology advances the new things become a lot more accessible as we are presented with even newer ones.

as much as i like to belive that someday we'll all use solar energy all alone, i don't think it's going to happen, today it's just not good enough and it's so expensive maybe in the future but way forward.

But we don't have to rely on only solar energy. As you probably know there are many different renewable energy solutions available to choose from. And we can't continue to increase our already huge energy footprint. We also have to reduce our energy usage and introduce energy efficiency programs in all sectors.

The problem is not that we don't have the technology or that we lack money. Our Governments have had no problems paying trillions of dollars to the banks to keep our current climate-killing economic system breathing. Or like George Monbiot wrote:

"The costs of a total energy replacement and conservation plan would be astronomical, the speed improbable. But the governments of the rich nations have already deployed a scheme like this for another purpose. A survey by the broadcasting network CNBC suggests that the US federal government has now spent $4.2 trillion in response to the financial crisis, more than the total spending on the second world war when adjusted for inflation. Do we want to be remembered as the generation that saved the banks and let the biosphere collapse?"

Solar panels in my opinion are not an expensive alternative at all, even initially; here in Colorado Springs, they are decent prices (can't name off the top of my head). It's totally worth it and off subject, but also a water system that heats the house and reusing the water.

The Ontario government actually gives you a tax credit (so does Europe, as far as I know) for installing them on your rooftops.

I was reading on someone who got their solar panels for around $20,000. In that, they got half off from the government, and they'll make the rest back within five years, in which the solar panel lasts for ten. It's actually a pretty good idea to lower the burden on the grids, you know.

The Ontario government actually gives you a tax credit (so does Europe, as far as I know) for installing them on your rooftops.

I was reading on someone who got their solar panels for around $20,000. In that, they got half off from the government, and they'll make the rest back within five years, in which the solar panel lasts for ten. It's actually a pretty good idea to lower the burden on the grids, you know.

Well here in Sweden the right-wing government scrapped those renewable/alternative energy subsidies when they came to power a few years ago. But many other European countries have these subsidies. Germany is one successful country for example. Germany’s solar industry employs more workers than the U.S. steel industry, with 100,000 in PV alone, and is expected to gain more momentum in coming years, pretty much all thanks to their solar subsidies.

• 2 months later...

They might be cheaper in the future but really insufficient today. They convert less than 40% heat to electricity from what I have heard. I have also heard the phrase: "will need 10 years before you will get your investment in solar panels for your home".

I've seen a tape of Dr.Hubbert in the 1970s, showing off his solar power device and describing how that would be the wave of the future in the wake of diminishing oil supply. What a terrible pity that we as a society did not follow through THEN on the technology development that we will have no choice but to pursue and pay for fairly soon. We have essentially wasted the past 40 years by ignoring the need to wean ourselves from petrochemicals. I surely hope the prices come down because this is how I plan to generate some of my power in the years ahead!

• 2 weeks later...

They might be cheaper in the future but really insufficient today. They convert less than 40% heat to electricity from what I have heard. I have also heard the phrase: "will need 10 years before you will get your investment in solar panels for your home".

But just consider all the money we have directed towards oil and gas technology since the 18th century. And dont forget all the subsidizes oil companies get from our governments. The playing field for alternative energy is far from even!

But just consider all the money we have directed towards oil and gas technology since the 18th century. And dont forget all the subsidizes oil companies get from our governments. The playing field for alternative energy is far from even!

That's a good point.

Fatih Birol, the chief economist of the International Energy Agency (IEA), recently said that we need to scrap fossil fuel subsidies or face catastrophe:

"Fatih Birol, speaking in an interview with EurActiv, says that the "$409 billion equivalent of fossil fuels subsidies in place around the world "encourage developing countries - where the bulk of the energy demand and CO2 emissions come from – [towards a] wasteful use of energy” and calls for their abolition."

• 4 weeks later...

I think when more companies come up competing to sell the panels to consumers , that's the only time the panels will become cheep. This can only be if people want to use solar energy more hence creating a competitive environment for the use of the panels. It may take some time but eventually it will happen.

In time, the costs will go down for a number of reasons. But already, there are people doing it successfully and economically. There will always be the naysayers but I feel that this is TOO important to allow anyone to curb you - even your own negativity.

I know someone in New Zealand whose entire home is organically and greenly powered. They save so much and most importantly, they are living in harmony with their environment.

So, the cost may appear high but I feel that NOT jumping on board with wind and solar energy would be a fatalistic mistake.

I'm sure the price will go half its price today, the same way how expensive brand new gadgets in the market decrease in value as time passes by. :) So, one day renewable/alternative energy source such as solar energy via solar panels will be affordable for a number households. :)