Green Blog

Healthy and environmentally friendly diets

Simon

I have not gone vegetarian or vegan, but I have changed my shopping and cooking habits to buy more responsibility raised products like pastured meats, sustainable seafood, and locally and naturally grown vegetables. 

I recently became a vegetarian and have noticed in just a few weeks that I feel a lot healthier and have more energy than I did before.  I make spinach smoothies everyday for breakfast and eat a lot of fruit and vegetables throughout the day.  

• 4 months later...

This is such a minor change (a few minor changes) from a regular diet that I'm not even sure that it has a name yet, but I've heard that--well, because of our massive population--so much could be done if everyone just went vegetarian one day out of a week. Perhaps some already are, mind you I just overheard this from an acquaintance who was evasive about the studies and statistics.

Changing from beef to something like lamb, mutton, or goat meat is supposed to be more environmentally friendly because whole forests are cleared to make farmland for cattle whereas goats can really browse anywhere and therefore are already more environment-friendly to raise for meat, but I'm unsure myself how consuming more goat meat would translate into reversing the system to be more eco-friendly unless eating goat meat became this loud political statement lifestyle or something.

No word on the environmental benefits of consuming venison or rabbit--at least, none that I've heard.

I used to be an organic vegan, but economic and health reasons have pushed me back into old eating habits with whatever is convenient and affordable... :(  I do my best with being a locavore, supporting the small local businesses of the barbecue and canteen in my neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

This is such a minor change (a few minor changes) from a regular diet that I'm not even sure that it has a name yet, but I've heard that--well, because of our massive population--so much could be done if everyone just went vegetarian one day out of a week. Perhaps some already are, mind you I just overheard this from an acquaintance who was evasive about the studies and statistics.

Changing from beef to something like lamb, mutton, or goat meat is supposed to be more environmentally friendly because whole forests are cleared to make farmland for cattle whereas goats can really browse anywhere and therefore are already more environment-friendly to raise for meat, but I'm unsure myself how consuming more goat meat would translate into reversing the system to be more eco-friendly unless eating goat meat became this loud political statement lifestyle or something.

No word on the environmental benefits of consuming venison or rabbit--at least, none that I've heard.

I used to be an organic vegan, but economic and health reasons have pushed me back into old eating habits with whatever is convenient and affordable... :(  I do my best with being a locavore, supporting the small local businesses of the barbecue and canteen in my neighborhood.

I agree and like to see the increase in meatless mondays and other similar inititivaites - personally my diet is mostly plant based, but I do eat grass fed (ideally wild) meats from time-to-time. Goat curry is delicious and our local farmers market has started selling goat sausages which I'm going to try next time I go along!

I am eating a lot less meat these days because the price of meat is getting too expensive not to.  I do not like to eat much of the processed meat, such as hotdogs and sausage, and so I am cutting up meat pieces and adding them to casseroles and stuff these days.  The prices are getting crazy and I wonder if we will be able to eat meat at all eventually.  I do think it is much better to pack meals full of fruits and veggies, so I am doing my best to cook this way now.  It is really hard though because I have a young child at home who does not like to eat his veggies.

• 9 years later...

Diets rich in plant-based foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes are both healthy and environmentally friendly. They reduce the carbon footprint, conserve resources, and promote better health by lowering the risk of chronic diseases.