Green Blog

Infographics about the great Pacific garbage patch

Simon

• 4 months later...

Wow, this is really news to me. I didn't know there's so much plastic garbage in the ocean. I thought when plastic was invented, it was one of the best inventions ever created because it's so light and durable and unbreakable. I think we need to make safer plastic and recycle the plastic that we use and to stop using plastic as disposable items like for carrying groceries or storing foodstuff that we eventually throw away. We need to use more biodegradable materials. I remember when I was a child going to the wet market with my mother. The fishmonger would wrap their seafood in papers for customers. There weren't any plastic bags and my mom always carried a bamboo basket to the market. Now everyone uses disposable plastic bags. I think it's time to stop this practice.

Yeah but it's the durable and unbreakable features that make them so sinister. If not recycled it'll take thousands of years for those plastic containers to break down naturally in the environment or in a landfill. Plastic bags alone, can take between 15 and 1000 years to break down in the environment. And in the meantime they will pose a serious and deadly risk for wildlife.