Green Blog

Eco-Friendly Home Furniture

snowdoll487

I'm thinking of re-inventing my room. I'm going to change the paint, re-arrange some of the furniture, and replace old furniture. I'm looking for suggestions regarding what furniture should I purchase, preferably eco-friendly furniture. I need something that isn't space consuming. I'm going to replace my sofa set, I'm also considering sofa bed. I'm also thinking if I should go for hardwood or plastic? Hardwood furniture is difficult to move around though, just in case I want to re-arrange my room in the future.

Anyone have any suggestion or idea?

I think furniture that are made from natural materials are more earth friendly although it could mean some plants or trees are being cut for it (as long as they would plant new ones ;)). There are also furniture that are made from recycled materials just like those that are made from used cans, used paper and some other materials that can be reused.

Below are some that I had searched online.

linklove_07_24_09.jpg

ecofriendly-furniture.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, Zararina -- that brown cane chair and ottoman look like some water hyacinth furniture that I saw pictures of!

http://www.lotushomefurniture.com/

Building “green” furniture from water hyacinths is an amazing and ingenious way to “manage” the scourge of the plant kingdom!

Fastest-growing plant on the planet, water hyacinth is virtually indestructible and has but one natural enemy/control: the manatee. But many third-world countries that are choking on the beautiful (and edible!) weed don’t have manatees to control it.

Industrious and intelligent, many of these native folk have learned to harvest the vicious, spreading masses of water hyacinth and transform them into useful furniture and decorative items. This in turn creates vast income opportunities for the creators.

As a Florida native, I am all too familiar with the pesky hyacinth. I’ve written two or three articles about it as well. I’ve also run across articles describing clever handcrafters who have learned to weave the dried plants into works of art as well as utilitarian pieces.

Wow, Zararina -- that brown cane chair and ottoman look like some water hyacinth furniture that I saw pictures of!

http://www.lotushomefurniture.com/

Building “green” furniture from water hyacinths is an amazing and ingenious way to “manage” the scourge of the plant kingdom!

Fastest-growing plant on the planet, water hyacinth is virtually indestructible and has but one natural enemy/control: the manatee. But many third-world countries that are choking on the beautiful (and edible!) weed don’t have manatees to control it.

Industrious and intelligent, many of these native folk have learned to harvest the vicious, spreading masses of water hyacinth and transform them into useful furniture and decorative items. This in turn creates vast income opportunities for the creators.

As a Florida native, I am all too familiar with the pesky hyacinth. I’ve written two or three articles about it as well. I’ve also run across articles describing clever handcrafters who have learned to weave the dried plants into works of art as well as utilitarian pieces.

It was right that water hyacinth becomes a problem here that causes floods on some areas specially when there are storms. And it was already being "harvested" here and used to create some products just like bags, sandals and home decors.

Go with furniture's that you think will last long, that are useful and preferably made from natural materials. I do think it's a good idea that you want to try and live on a smaller area! :)

linklove_07_24_09.jpg

ecofriendly-furniture.jpg

Wow, I can't believe the other two pictures below the chocolate brown chair, number 4 and five photos were "green" furniture. Were you able to remember the websites? I might check it out for the prices and if it is possible to purchase it in the local market. Hopefully this is not only available to few chosen countries.

• 4 months later...

Those are some pretty nice pieces. I just wanted to chime in here and say that the best eco-friendly furniture is repurposed and salvaged furniture. It is already made so the resources are not being put into producing new furniture. Time to hit up the local thrift stores!