Green Blog

Largest Crocodile Captured

zararina

Are you aware of this news regarding the largest crocodile captured alive? What is your initial reaction about knowing the news?

It was all over the local news and online news during the first week of September when it was captured here in the Philippines. It is said that it could be the largest of its kind to be captured alive. It is a male crocodile and some villagers believe that there is still another creature as big or bigger than him that could be his wife (a female crocodile).

For photos: Yahoo News

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the news on a local TV channel but, I can't really tell if it is "that" big as they claim as it the camera focus is quite a distance. The crocs look small to me. LMAO! But, if you ask me, there can be other crocs larger than the one you're talking about. :) But surely not as big as that one on Lake Placid. :D

Hmmmm ... I wonder if the local authorities are planning a humane relocation of this poor old guy? That's the typical action taken in the Southern US with "problem" or "nuisance" wildlife -- whether the animal poses a danger to human residents or not.

While I do realize that it would be sheer folly to allow this croc to remain in close proximity to people, I also fervently hope that he is dealt with humanely!

• 4 months later...

I actually didn't know that, thanks for sharing. That thing looks monstrous. I can only imagine how that person who found it felt. I'd be terrified.

Wow. At first it didn't look big until I scrolled through the pictures and saw the one where all of those people were standing behind it. That's just beyond amazing! He's such a gorgeous creature, too. I really hope that he's released into the wild in an area that isn't populated. I really hate zoos unless they're used to help repopulate a species and the animals will eventually be released when they can survive in the wild again.

THAT is HUGE and even with ropes all around it, I would not to stand nearby! I am glad that it is caught, but I hope people are not going to kill it for the skin!

• 3 months later...

The link is broken so I can't view the news, but I think I know the one you are all talking about it. I am afraid to say that it was killed. If this is the image of the crocodile with the African village stood near by? I'm sure they ate what they could and used the skin. I think it had been responsible for many deaths in the area.

^

That crocodile was found here in the Philippines. Sadly, its been turned as a tourist attraction by the local government. They should have just released it in the wild where it can populate rather than let it sit in the cage where people look at it and take pictures of it. I think that it may cause a huge amount of stress on the croc. I don't really like how the local government here in the Philippines handle this kind of situation.

• 1 year later...

I agree that it should be relocated if it is close to humans. The could at least take him to a natural habitat that is far away from human settlements. I hope someone kicks up a storm and gets something done about it.