Green Blog

"Earth Box" analogues from Cat Litter Bins

Dee

We have five indoor cats. Yes, I know the first step in the triangle of plastics is reduce plastic use, but paper bags of litter rip. The next step is reuse, and I came up with a way to reuse the plastic litter bins as square foot gardening tubs.

You may be familiar with "Earth Box" type gardening bins. They're designed for weed-free gardening or apartments. The idea is to have a plastic bin with a screen a few inches fro the bottom. A tube runs from the top to the bottom through a hole in the screen. Another gap in the screen is across from the tube on the other end of the tub. The final element is a drainage hole right above the screen. You put gardening soil mix on top of the screen and water through the tube. The dirt wicks up moisture.

I used cat litter tubs to make the same kind of thing. You can see them off to the back in the attached picture - they're the yellow things.

Would anyone be interested in more information?

post-8033-0-86900400-1406659882_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone be interested in more information?

Yes! Please post more about this. Do you also have any more photos on your gardening bins? I would like to try out something similar but could use some more information. :)

• Like 1