Green Blog

Impact of climate change on jobs and living conditions in Asia

Mimuba

Climate change has badly hit most of the countries of Asia. Most encouraging thing is that people of this region realize how global warming and environmental hazards are impacting their way of living. This was disclosed in a survey conducted by Climate Asia of BBC. 

It also revealed that people have to change their lifestyle and alter their sources of living because of rising level of threats due to climate change.

People of Pakistan are worst affected by the menace of global warming while people of Bangladesh have more awareness on harms of environmental degradation on them. 

People of Pakistan and China have the idea of how their living conditions declined to the worst level during previous ten years due to climate impact. 

The survey was conducted in seven selected countries of developing regions of Asia including Pakistan, China, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. 

• 2 months later...

I want to share something that I experienced personally here in our country. This is a simple example but this is a personal experience of the impact of climate change in our country. When I was a child, our place which is situated on the foot of the highest mountain of our country, we usually experience a cold climate. However, at this time, we do not. We could hardly sleep from 2-4pm without using an electric fan or an air condition unit. This, too, is the word of mouth of people who are older than I am. This is a product of what we humans do to our planet.

I want to share something that I experienced personally here in our country. This is a simple example but this is a personal experience of the impact of climate change in our country. When I was a child, our place which is situated on the foot of the highest mountain of our country, we usually experience a cold climate. However, at this time, we do not. We could hardly sleep from 2-4pm without using an electric fan or an air condition unit. This, too, is the word of mouth of people who are older than I am. This is a product of what we humans do to our planet.

Thank you for sharing your first-hand experience with us!

How is the general climate change discussion in the Philippines? Are people worried? Is there a big support for action against global warming? What are your politicians saying?

I'm from Manila too and I just went through an ankle deep flood on my way to work today. *whew* I just noticed that It's been happening more often than before. It rains for 30 minutes and then there you go, streets are swamped with plastic bags and used diapers. I sometimes have to wake up 2am in the morning just to park our car somewhere higher where the flood won't reach it. It affects everyone not just their jobs but their personal lives too. We sometimes can't go to work when the water gets too high and have to stay in our homes to safe guard our things and our family. This is just one impact out of maybe a hundred. My aunt's new husband just died 2 days ago because of heat stroke while working in a t shirt factory as a mechanic. Our government needs to turn their heads on this side of the table too and do more action and not just focus on the economy and other foreign relation stuff.