hedonologist

What is sustainable design?

I must admit I have very little knowledge about sustainable design. Is it merely desiging a house in a way as to use as least water and energy as possible? There is a project near me and the house looks very unusual. It's made of wood as well which is suprising.

Sustainable design revolves around the intention to work with nature and its available resources. The environmental impact of the materials used should also be taken into consideration. Wood is a good material for a sustainable home;however, this can only be called sustainable if the lumber came from non-endangered trees. In general, the primary consideration on having a sustainable design house is finding the materials with the least negative environmental impact. 

Sustainable design includes building things such that it will include judicious use of resources along with the fact that what it is designed for does not harm the nature in any way. I think the best way to understand it is development of houses from natural wastes and the house should be built in such a location that it does not harm the environment.