Green Blog

Earthship Biotecture

cherriebombetsy

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and I wanted to introduce you to Earthships if you didn't know about them already.

Earthships are a form of sustainable, self-sufficient housing invented by architect Michael Reynolds. While Earthships are popping up all over the globe, the majority of them are located in a village in Taos, New Mexico. They are made mostly of recycled materials and have everything you need to live completely off the grid.

earthship_4.jpg

an outside view

The Earthship design principles are outlined

on this page. Thermal/solar heating and cooling, solar and wind electricity, contained sewage treatment, building with natural and recycled materials, water harvesting, and food production.

bottle-wall-earthship.jpg?w=300&h=224

wall made with glass and plastic bottle "bricks"

While Earthships have an unusual and beautiful appearance, their use of sustainable resources is what makes them positively amazing. Everything you need to live comfortably and completely off the grid is integrated into each building. They offer classes on how to build your own, or you can hire builders to create one for you. There are also prebuilt Earthships for sale or rent.

A documentary about Michael Reynolds' journey to get permission to build these structures in New Mexico is detailed in

"Garbage Warrior", a must see for any green enthusiast and people wanting to learn how to live off the grid.

earthship2.jpg

You can learn more about the Earthship project here:

http://earthship.com

I would love to know your thoughts! I definitely want to move my family into one of these beautiful homes eventually. For now, we are just beginning to embark on a full time RV/camping lifestyle, and we plan to do so for the next few years at least. We're in a

Workamper program in North Carolina and we intend to stay here while my husband finishes college.

Good looking houses!

It was work of art, looks safe and good thing that it was earth friendly. I have not seen one yet personally but I could say that I would like to experience to live on such house. In here, it could be best to be built in the provinces.

• 1 month later...

It looks good in the picture but one needs to see one for real and see if its realist according to where they live. I haven't seen one in my country and it may take sometime before they reach here. But if they are environment friendly and work just fine, then am all for them.

• 5 months later...

How efficient are they in terms of space? Because I don't think everybody on the planet could have an EarthShip.
The problems with the environment are caused by the overpopulation, in my opinion.

Edited by Simon Leufstedt
removed spam link

• 1 year later...

I am totally enamored by the earthship concept. I plant to have one or something similar eventually. The problem that I have with them is the cost of accessing information about building one yourself. The earthship website is rather secretive about the process of earthship building, and seems to be more interested in selling classes and amassing volunteers than disseminating information in order to change the tide of building practices. 

Though they do great work (especially overseas in poor areas that have faced disasters), but financial elitism in green living has always put my nose out of joint :P

Here are some websites I've found that have free information on the logistical aspects of earthship construction:

http://www.bluerockstation.com/earthship

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/how-to-build-an-earthship-step-by-step-slideshow-video.html

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2010-08-13/how-build-earthship-our-adventure-new-mexico

I had never heard of these structures but they look great and seem to be a great reuse and repurpose of materials. It always seems that some of the more radical designs will only flourish in areas a bit more free of administrative regulation. I know I have seen some uses of old tires in the high desert areas of southern California, but I am sure zoning and planning departments would probably pick any such uses apart in the more urban areas. I too like many of he comments would like to see more of the interior layout of these earth ship designs. Very interesting post.