Green Blog

Europe bans bee-harming pesticides but the US keeps spraying

Simon

Just a few days ago the European Union decided to ban neonicotinoid pesticides that allegedly causes serious harm to bees. In light of this decision, Mother Jones has a good article about the US and its reluctance to protect bees from harmful pesticides.

In the US, "neonic-treated crops cover between 150 million to 200 million acres of farmland [...] each year—a land mass equivalent to as much as twice the size of the California."

• 8 months later...

The US needs to do this too or we are not going to have any crops left.  Without bees we can't naturally pollinate our crops.  This will mean huge food price hikes and shortages as well.  Good article.  Thanks for posting.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I did not know the EU banned bee-harming pesticides. This is great news. Thanks for the info. 

Hopefully the US will follow suit, because without the bees, there is no pollination, and without pollination, there are no fruits. It is a massive scale disaster. 

I hope the US take notice. 

I saw a documentary about a region in China where they were forced to pollinate the fruit orchards by hand, because the bees had died out. 

Hoepfully once the US sees the positive effect that this will ahve on bee colonies in Europe, they will follow suit. Indeed as Lacey stated if something is not done soon, the US will start to see some serious problems with their agriculture of the coming years.