Green Blog

Are you Passionate About Your Work?

Dreek Lass

I am not someone who is passionate about her work. I hate it, but I know that I have no other choice but to either go out and find another job, or just do witthout the money - because I am pretty convinved that I will be unhappy in any job that I do. Even when I enjoy doing something, it doesn't necessarily mean that I want to do that everyday so that I can survive.

Most of the people that I know hate having to go to work and have had enough, but there are a handful who really love what they do for a living.

Do you fall into that category, or do you hate work?

• Like 1

I'm with you, I don't like my work either. It would be so much better if we all had only a three-day work week. Then we would have more time to enjoy our short lives. =)

I definitely agree. I have a problem with the work system, and a lot of peoplr try to tell me that I shouldn't hate work and that to hate work is to hate life. But I disagree whole-heartedly. I hate work not because I am lazy and am opposed to work, but because of what it does to lives.

I understand that people need to work to keep the world going, and that there are benefits of work, but i just don't think that people should work as long and as often as they do now, essentially having no time - or very littel - to actually live their lives. I would rather not be alive than live that.

• 1 year later...

Most people that have the regular 9 to 5 jobs hate their work. I was one of those for many years, until I began freelancing. I eventually plucked up the courage to freelance full time and now I love my work and am able to work from anywhere at any time of the day that suits me.

The impression I got was that we all must work and job it until we've saved up enough to retire and then do what we want. Some people find work-life balance somewhere in there. Few people are so fortunate to know what they love, to do what they love, and then find a way to get paid for it, so that they really do love their work and therefore love their life.

Here's a link to Larry Smith's TEDtalk on YouTube about why most people fail to have a great career, this topic just reminded me of it.

Maybe it's a gigantic error in managing human resources. I recently read up on something called the Kolbe Index, which describes personality types who would be unsuited for particular work because it wouldn't fulfill their instincts. Putting people in jobs that they like to do, that makes them feel fulfilled instead of feel like they're working...that's a human resources skill.

I'm okay with the work that I do, neither passionate nor averse. I'd like to do more with my life, though.

I don't work yet, but I know that 100%, I want a job that I will enjoy and have a lot of passion for. I don't think I could settle down for a mediocre job that I feel lifeless about, even if the pay was extremely good! It's just not how I work haha, I just have to at least like what I'm doing.

• 1 month later...

I don't mind the work I do but absolutely despise my coworkers and work environment. I make good money so I cannot complain, but I wish I had the courage to leave my job, take a risk and do something I love. I'm an attorney but instead of making companies rich I want to help children, or maybe I even want to open up a vegan lipbalm stand. I am not opposed to hard work and even if I won the lottery would want to continue working but I think in the US the worker/employer relationship is so off base that I find it hard to believe anyone really enjoys going to work. I think most people say they work at their current jobs because they have to not because they want to.

I am a college student studying zoology, and yes, I am passionate about it. I have always loved all kinds of animals and it is really sad that there are not as many  people as there should be to take care of these animals, after all even they are an integral part of our society. I hope to become a great veteran one fine day and help the abandoned as well as wild animals and in turn help the society. I have always done what I wanted and I work really hard to fulfill my dreams. 

I spent many years in the corporate world in jobs I hated. Now I work full time as a freelance ran I love what I do, even though I work harder than I ever have before.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 5:32 PM, kozakor said:

If you are experiencing discomfort in the office, then it is better to change jobs.

This is true, we spend most of our life at work and then you shouldn't feel miserable or discomfort from your actual job - it's just too bad that it's not that easy to just switch to another job.